Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Miracles can happen

One week ago I never would have guessed I would be sitting here telling you how much I love my dog. I probably would have thought it would be ridiculous to tell people that. It should be a given to have a pet and love it. But when you see that you almost loose something, it makes love more tangible.
After Scooby was hit by a car, I think I hit a bit of depression. I felt extreme guilt and remorse for the accident to have happened. I felt guilt over pushing him off my lap for the 400th time that hour because I just wanted a bit of space. I felt responsible.
Visiting Scooby twice a day in the ICU clinic was hell. There where times where I had to leave one or both of my girls at home and I hated that. Nia told me it was scary there as she cried in my shoulder one night. She cried about missing her best friend. Cyenna cried because she missed Scooby licking her face.
Well today was a joyous day. We carried him through the doors tonight. He was able to reunite with his best friend and lick all the faces he wanted. Scooby also had a special treat of baby back ribs tonight. Hey the vet said anything he can eat :)
Nia decided she is going to "hold the fort down tonight". She and I made a make shift mattress in our living room, where Scooby sleeps. She has a pen and pad and plans on writing down all his activity. She put a bell on his collar so if he moves it will wake her up. She has extra treats and a bowel of water for him. I laid with her for a bit as we laughed and even cried a bit about the past few days. Nia is a girl who is wise beyond her years.
So as I finish this for tonight, I am thrilled that my family is together again. I am eternally grateful to all my family and friends who prayed for our strength, Scooby and for the Vet to make excellent decisions. I can not say enough about how thankful I am for you all.
Life changes in a blink of an eye. I'm deciding to cherish everything I have more than ever now.

2 comments:

  1. So wonderful to hear that he is home and doing well. I love how Nia is handling taking care of him. Sometimes the only reason for these things to happen is to remind us to cherish what we would normally take for granted. Glad to hear your family is whole again. Just wondering, could you post on yahoo group when the next enrichment meeting is?

    Take Care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad Scooby is all good now!!!! Miracles do happen!

    ReplyDelete